for Parents and Youth
Children's Counseling & Therapy
Times of special changes like divorce, a death in the family, or a move can be stressful for children. During times like that, children may have a range of feelings that are very confusing to them.
Signs that the child might need professional help:
- Long periods of sadness – days or weeks and nothing seems to make them better
- Living in the past – the child may seem to think more about the past than the present
- Withdrawn behavior – they have little or no interest in playing or being with friends
- Problems saying good-bye to parents – they do not want to let a parent leave
- Cannot concentrate – they cannot settle on any play activities or jobs you give them
- Changes in daily habits – not acting the way they normally do every day
- Return to younger behavior – wetting themselves, sucking their thumb
- Feeling a sense of responsibility or guilt – they may think divorce or death is their fault
- Feeling angry -they may take their anger out on other children by hitting, biting, and shouting.
- Temper tantrums – they might kick and scream more often than before.
- Feeling anxious and worried – they may worry about the parents when they are not at home
Many of these behaviors are normal.
Getting help is important if:
- the signs are more extreme than you normally see in other children,
- they last day after day or week after week, or
- you or the parents have tried to work with the child, but the problems continue.
We offer the full continuum of care including:
- Intensive Out-Patient Therapy (several meetings a week)
- Out- Patient Therapy (one or two meetings a week)
- Play Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Easy access to crisis and higher level care
If you are seeing any of these signs or have any concerns please
– or –